Sunday, August 3, 2014

8. Guessing Game (An SQ Story)

"I think that it's just really unfair that you can tease me with MY middle name, and I can't tease you with yours."

"Well, better get used to that, because I love watching you pout. Ow!"

Quinn Amity Gregory scowled at Sawyer Neeman, her hand still bunched in a fist. Sawyer clutched at his shoulder, wincing. "That, I will not love. You pack a punch."

"And I thought you knew I box during my spare time," she said smugly, and opened her Anglo-Saxon literature book again. "Come on, study time is study time."

The two were now in their second semester at college - garnering high grades in their subjects. Sawyer was trying to make his extremely real feelings known to the subdued, studious Quinn, but she wouldn't give. Not externally, any way. Flipping the pages of her book absently, she mused about their lives. It wasn't that Quinn didn't like him - hell, she wasn't an idiot. She knew that Sawyer was practically a real life Augustus Waters. It was just that she needed a bit more proof than his amazingly wonderful attitude, and amazing good looks and laugh and smile and why on earth did she just not want to let him into her life? She groaned inwardly.

Sawyer had a small smile on his face as he watched her study. God, she's beautiful, he thought to himself. He found her just so goddamned interesting that he had invested about 5 months into getting to know her. The fact that she wouldn't give him a chance just made her even more interesting. Quinn was the first girl he was genuinely interested in, and even if she wouldn't believe him, he had to prove her wrong. "Tell you what, let's play a game. A challenge, if you will."

He watched her eyes snap up. Aha, he thought to himself. Quinn loved a challenge. "I'm listening..."

"If you can guess my middle name, I'll be a good boy for a good whole two weeks."

She returned his grin with a leveled stare. "Good boy, meaning...?"

"Meaning I'll study, not flirt with you, not make any sexual innuendos in class, get high grades, not cheat, uhm, basically, you know, your typical good boy." He rolled his eyes.

She laughed. "Okay, deal. How many chances do I get?" Quinn put away her book, which he took as a good sign. Whenever she put down whatever book she was reading, it meant her full attention was on him.

"As many as you want," he said confidently.

"You know I could just Google a baby name book and have your middle name by like, the end of our free period."

"You really think you have a chance at guessing my middle name in a book titled, '500,000 Baby Names'? he teased.

Quinn, who already had her phone out, scowled at him. "Alright, you have a point. Do I get hints?"

"If you go twenty names without being close, I'll start giving you hints," he said.

"Andrew, Adam, Brandon, Carter, Gregory, Jack, Keith, Noel, Nathan, Randall, Lionel, Michael, Thatcher, Chase, Stewart-"

"Imagine that. Sawyer Stewart Neeman." He shuddered. "It sounds so nerdy."

"Oh, shut up," she admonished. "For all you know, there's a completely buff Sawyer Stewart Neeman in... Paris or some other far-off place, who is tall, mysterious, and has had way more action than you."

"Neeman isn't a French name."

She glared at him. "Harry, Drew, Edward, Eric, Vance, Clayton, Tony - I think I'm over twenty, now."

"Alright, alright. Uhmmm let's see. You know this name because you say it a lot. Like, a whole lot."

Now she looked confused. "What? I do?" She thought back. "Trevor," she said, naming off one of their friends. He shook his head. "Alex, Donny, James?" She named another three of their classmates back in French 1. He shook his head again. "Robert." That was her father's name.

"Imagine what fun that would be if your dad and I had some similarities." He winked.

She groaned, and continued rattling off names, some so simple and mundane as "Bob" and even going as far as suggesting "Draco Malfoy" and "Napoleon". "I give up, Sawyer."

His eyes gleamed. "Seriously?"

"Yes." She sighed, and glared balefully at him. "I have this feeling you're pulling my leg. Ah, never mind. I prefer you as a bad boy, anyway." She turned away and blushed madly, hoping he wouldn't notice. She knew it would be ridiculous to even consider the thought.

"What was that? Could Quinn Amity Gregory actually have a soft spot for my bad boy-ness?" He inched closer to her, and watched in amusement as she inched away.

"Your head is getting way too big for my liking, Neeman," she hissed, and he fake-winced.

"Your hisses jab me in the heart with thy cruel words!" he cried out dramatically, turning away dramatically. When she didn't reply, he chuckled, and stared at her. "Shame though, since you actually guessed it right after you gave up."

Her eyes bugged open, and he nearly laughed out loud as he took in her surprised look. "What? What?"

"You guessed it," he said smugly, but without any malice.

Quinn screwed her face up in concentration and thought really, really hard. He waited for her to get it; he knew she would. She was a smart girl. Her eyes flew open then, and she hit him in the shoulder. Hard.

"Ow!!"

"Your middle name is Sawyer!?" she screeched, hitting him repeatedly. "You little bitch!"

He laughed out loud; he rarely saw her riled up like this. "I never said it was my first name," he said. "And you notice that I said nothing against you not knowing my middle name."

Sawyer let Quinn take out all her anger on him, and he smiled to himself. He was whipped. If this were any other girl, he'd find this annoying. But no. She finally ceased, and focused her brown eyes on him. "So what's your first name, then?" He had a small smirk on his face, and she groaned. "Are we going to go through the whole guessing game again? Because if we are I am so going to-"

"Levi."

"-make sure that I guess that and - wait, what?"

He smiled. "Levi Sawyer Neeman."

"Levi Sawyer Neeman." She tried it out, and Sawyer tried to hide how much he loved hearing her say his whole name. "Levi Sawyer Neeman." He laughed.

"I know my name's sexy, but you don't have to say it more times than necessary." She stuck her tongue out at him.

"So, can I call you Levi, now?"

He groaned. "Now I know how you feel when I call you Quinn Amity."

Her tone lightened, and she teased him. "Well, get used to it. I'm going to be calling you Levi for a long time."

Sawyer leaned in close to her, leaving her breathless. With his lips right next to her ear, he whispered. "Quinn, I'd let you call me anything you call me."

No comments:

Post a Comment